Excel Concatenate Error: More arguments

November 12 2011 07:22 / by: Bryan Didas / Filed in:Microsoft Excel

Today while working on a spreadsheet, I needed to join a large amount of text and data into a string for use in an SQL script. Of course one method to join these segments or cells of data is to use the Concatenate function. I have used the function many times in the past and gotten pretty good at creating these strings. This particular project required that I join well over 100 arguments. I began entering and got into a rhythm after approx. 32 arguments I decided to stop and review. Selected OK on the input dialog box and bing…. error.


After I verified that I didn’t have any argument errors I began deleting arguments when I got down to Text28 field I picked OK and the function accepted my arguments. So yes I suppose there is a limit, but I thought I could enter over 250?? So I entered one argument at time until I got the error again. There is a 30 argument limit (While searching for the answer I found that many other function have the same limitation).

I began looking into the error because I really need to join all of these arguments for my project and I figured this will be another opportunity to learn something.

What I find interesting is that the concatenate dialog box even states that 1 to 255 text strings can be joined. I suppose this is true, but you need to do a little something extra to get more than 30 arguments into the string.




The solution for stringing together more than 30 arguments in the Concatenate function is to structure your sting like so grouping each concatenate segment with no more than 30 arguments.


The selected file is not a valid ISO file

November 7 2011 17:24 / by: Bryan Didas / Filed in:Windows 7

Ran into a new issue for me this week. I recently downloaded a couple of ISO files from Microsoft, both are the new Windows 8 developer preview. I had plans to burn the 32bit version to a DVD and install on an old PC I have in my lab. The other I planned to create a USB boot stick and install on a VHD (Virtual Hard Disk).

On my Windows 7 laptop I made sure I had a new blank DVD in the drive bay, selected the 32bit ISO file and right clicked, when the Windows Disk Image Burner dialog opened I picked burn. Where I was notified that “The selected image isn't valid.” What?? I downloaded from a Microsoft website.


Well, maybe the file didn’t download properly or had gotten corrupted. I decided I would try to setup my USB boot stick. First I insert a new blank USD drive into one of the ports. Then opened up the Windows 7 USB download tool, and when prompted to select the ISO, I picked the 64bit file and selected next in the tool. What?? Again???


So am I now to believe that both downloads are corrupted? I then took the 32bit file and put it on another laptop  with a WinXP OS and was able to burn the ISO image with 3rd party burning software. At this point I am now thinking that there is something else going on.

After searching for the Invalid ISO File errors I ran across a blog post where someone had made a utility that would manipulate the ISO file and configure it so that Windows 7 would accept the image.


To find and explanation of what this tool corrects and a link to download the utility go here Another problem solved.

System.Security.SecurityException, BlogEngine’s BlogRoll.cs

November 3 2011 13:49 / by: Bryan Didas / Filed in:BlogEngine.NET

Recently during an upgrade from BlogEngine 1.6.1 to BE 2.0 I experienced several issues that required a bit of research for the solution. This particular issue had a few steps or phases before I found the root problem and the the right fix.

This blog is a subfolder within a base application and while I was merging BlogEngine into the web application everything seemed to work just fine. When I uploaded to my web host that the little issues started to show up. The first thing I noticed was that when I browsed to the home page I got a garbled output. What I find strange is that if I refreshed the page would render, but that the BlogRoll section did not. No issues on my local host, only on the hosted site.


After searching for topics on garbled output I found a post where it was described that there is some issue where BlogEngine has an issue and instead of throwing up an error or sending you to an error page you see the garbled output. One resolution was to comment out the compression module in the web.config.


I tried this mainly because it was simple enough to do. Just note that this compression module is located in 2x in the web.config file. You would comment them out in both places.

At this point I no longer got the garbled output, but a true error page. With this now I was able to start looking at finding an actual solution. The file throwing the error is BlogRoll.cs, this now makes sense of why after a refresh of the garbled output and the page rendered I wasn’t getting anything from that widget.


One post I found on the BlogEngine.Codeplex discussion forum stated that the checking of credentials really wasn’t required in this case and could be commented out. I tried this, but I did not get the desired results, in fact I started to get other errors.

After giving up one night and attempting another search the next day I found what I was looking for. Seems like there is always someone out there who has been through something very similar. I found the answer here.


By adding this little section to the web.config file and elevating the web application to a full trust, error gone. I returned all other setting changes and commented out code back to the original condition. Pages loads just the way it is supposed too, including the BlogRoll.

That’s is it, hopefully in the future when I run into a security issue like this I will refer back to this post.